Main Content

History & Mission

History

Saint Anselm College was founded in 1889 by the Benedictine monks of St. Mary's Abbey of Newark, New Jersey, in response to the invitation by Bishop Denis M. Bradley, the first bishop of Manchester, N.H. A six-year classical course, with curricula in philosophical and theological studies, was organized and opened to qualified students.

In 1895, the General Court of the State of New Hampshire empowered Saint Anselm to grant standard academic degrees. From its beginning, the college has been, and desires to remain, a small college dedicated to delivering a first-rate, liberal arts education.

We're proud to be preserving a tradition framed in academic excellence that has distinguished the Benedictine Order for more than 15 centuries.

Mission

Saint Anselm is a Catholic, Benedictine College providing all its students a distinctive liberal arts education that incorporates opportunities for professional and career preparation. It does so in a learning community that encourages the lifelong pursuit of the truth and fosters intellectual, moral and spiritual growth to sustain and enrich its graduates' personal lives, work, and engagement within local, national, and global communities.

Mission Statement approved by the Board of Trustees on October 25, 2010 and members of the Corporation on November 16, 2010.

View Mobile Site