Main Content

History

Saint Anselm College was founded in 1889 by the Benedictine monks of St. Mary's Abbey of Newark, New Jersey, in response to the invitation by Bishop Denis M. Bradley, the first bishop of Manchester, N.H. A six-year classical course, with curricula in philosophical and theological studies, was organized and opened to qualified students.

In 1895, the General Court of the State of New Hampshire empowered Saint Anselm to grant standard academic degrees. From its beginning, the college has been, and desires to remain, a small college dedicated to delivering a first-rate, liberal arts education.

We're proud to be preserving a tradition framed in academic excellence that has distinguished the Benedictine Order for more than 15 centuries.