- Course Dates: January 6-14, 2017, plus spring semester class
- Application & Deposit Deadline: Septemeber 10, 2016
- Program Fee: $1,650 (plus airfare)
Are you interested in international business? Doing business in developing and emerging markets? If the answer is yes, this course is for you. Your course material will come alive as you travel to Costa Rica in January and meet with local business as they share their expereinces with you.
This course examines the forces underlying the political and economic dynamics in developing and emerging markets. Through an in-depth analysis of cultural, political and economic factors, students learn about critical strategic issues and operating challenges in these markets. In addition, students develop perspectives on managerial issues and essential skills for success in developing and emerging markets.
BU 324 is a business and international business elective, and will fulfill the global engagement core requirement.
Upon satisfactory completion of this course students will be able to:
- Describe the difference between doing business in developed markets versus developing and emerging markets.
- Identify developing and emerging markets phenomena and implications of economic growth.
- Describe the nature of institutional voids in developing and emerging markets.
- Formulate and assess business strategies for developing and emerging markets.
- Identify the challenges developed country multinationals face in developing and emerging markets.
- Identify successful strategies of developed country multinational companies.
- Understand emerging market firms in terms of competition at home and in global markets.
What's included in the program fee:
- Group airport pick up and drop office in Costa Rica
- On-site orientation
- Most meals
- Business visits
- Cultural Activities and excursions
- International health and travel insurnace
What's not included:
- Airfare: $750 (estimate) - the Office of International Programs will book a group flight and bill students for the actual cost of the flight.
- Passport fee: $185
- Costa Rica airport departure tax: $30
- Spending money
- $500 deposit due with application by September 10, 2016
- October 15: $1,150 due
- November 15: flight cost due (est. $750)