Directed research in biology course provides an individualized research program for undergraduates, which includes hands-on experience with literature searching, hypothesis development and testing, graphical and statistical analysis, and oral and written presentation (see examples from previous student research below). The course is conducted under the direction of a biology faculty member or as an interdisciplinary project under the direction of faculty from the Chemistry, Physics, or Psychology Departments. Two sequential semesters of the course must be taken to earn credit.
How to apply
BI 421-422 is open to upper-class students who have applied for and been admitted into a position in a science faculty's research laboratory. To apply:
- contact a science professor whose research is of interest (see faculty list on research page)
- download and complete the course application form (MSWord / 25.5KB)
- submit completed application to Professor Barry Wicklow (application deadline Spring 2013 TBA)
- 2010 B.J. Wicklow, D.R. Smith, K. Flanery, S. von Oettingen. Translocation and Monitoring of the Brook Floater Mussel, Alasmidonta varicosa, After the 2006 Avulsion in the Suncook River, NH.
- 2010. Robert A. Mitchell, Mary Kate Donais, and B. J. Wicklow. Chemical Defense in Hatchling Wood Turtles, Glyptemys insculpta: Function of the Mysterious Rathke's Gland.
- 2010. Erin M. Higgins and B. J. Wicklow. Conservation and Adaptive Management of the Rare Orchid Isotria medeoloides.
- 2010. Rory Nesman and Eric Berry. A Brine Shrimp Bioassay Comparing Anti-herbivory Compounds in the Endangered Wildflower Senna hebecarpa and Four Other Temperate Wildflowers.
- 2010. Catherine Daggett and Eric Berry. Measuring the Effect of Decreasing Water Potential on Seed Germination, Seedling Development, and Population Growth in Endangered Wildflower Northern Wild Senna (Senna hebecarpa).
- 2009. N. E. Baginski, K. M. O'Brion, K. L. Richardson, P. M. Larson, and B. J. Wicklow. Morphometric Analysis of Sexual Dimorphism In The Federally Endangered Dwarf Wedgemussel, Alasmidonta heterodon.
- 2009. Ryan Garrette and Eric Berry. Impact of Light Environment on Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Endangered Northern Wild Senna (Senna hebecarpa).
- 2008. Justin Wheeler, Christopher Darnowski, and Eric Berry. Reproductive Biology of the Endangered Wildflower Senna hebecarpa I: Pollination and Fecundity.
- 2008. Christopher Darnowski, Justin Wheeler, and Eric Berry. Reproductive Biology of the Endangered Wildflower Senna hebecarpa II: Germination and Seedling Emergence.