In collaboration with a faculty member, chemistry majors undertake a research project in an area of their own interest. Research projects completed in recent years include:
- Elemental analysis of archaeological artifacts from an ancient Roman villa
- Analysis of the factors that influence the infrared spectra of pollen grains
- Synthesis of dopamine agonists
- Synthesis of dopamine transporter antagonists
- Comparison of salamander pheromones by solid-phase micro-extraction
- Reactions by microwave irradiation
There are opportunities for compensated student research. Saint Anselm College is currently receiving funding from the INBRE grant through which summer research fellowships are available. Additionally, the Father Michael Summer Research Grant is awarded for a summer research position in collaboration with Chemistry faculty.
Many students have also obtained summer industry positions. Others have participated in academic summer research programs at major research institutions.
Pictured below are the 2012 Seniors doing research in the Chemistry Department:
Pictured are, 1st Row: Rachel Casazza, Paul Haupt- Renaud, Antonia Sims, Kristen Frano. 2nd Row: Michael Giammarco, Anthony Desmond, Daniel Martin, Sara Wojtas, Christopher Bishop.
Congratulations Seniors on a job well done!
Please contact a member of the Chemistry faculty for additional information.