Elementary teacher candidates major in Education Studies: Elementary Education. These candidates will be eligible for K-6 certification. Candidates must successfully pass Praxis Core Academic Skills Test (ETS), Foundations of Reading (Pearson) and Praxis II (elementary) or equivalent exams. Candidates will complete five clinical experience in one of each of the following grade groupings: (K-2), (3-4), and (5-6).
Students considering studying abroad must decide by the end of the fall sophomore year. It is critical for planning purposes.
Elementary teacher candidates take required core courses, content courses in the liberal arts and required education courses. Refer to the Online College Catalogue for more information, including course descriptions.
Required Education Courses:
- ED130 Principles of Teaching and Learning
- ED250 - Integrating Art and Creativity into Teaching
- ED322 - Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity in Education
- ED340 - Curriculum and Assessment in Teaching
- ED351 - Special Topics: Clinical Capstone: NHTCAP
- ED360 - Language, Literacy and Assessment Across the Curriculum for ESOL
- ED375 - Theory and Methods of Teaching Elementary Reading
- ED380 - Theory and Methods of Teaching Elementary Mathematics
- ED390 - Methods of Teaching Elementary Social Studies and Science
- ED430 - Elementary Reading and Mathematics Seminar
- ED432 - Supervised Student Teaching