Prior to registering for a modern language, you must complete either a Language Survey or both a Language Survey and Placement Exam for the language you plan to study, as appropriate.
If you have never studied (and have no life experience with) the language you would like to take, complete an online Language Survey (it takes 2-3 minutes).
If you have ever studied (or have experience with the language you would like to take-it was spoken at home, you lived abroad, etc.), complete an online Language Survey (it takes 2-3 minutes). When you are done with the Survey, you will be given a link to an online Placement Exam (which takes 15-20 minutes), be sure to click it and complete the exam.
Step-by-step instructions for the Placement Exam:
- Navigate to: http://webcape.byuhtrsc.org/nwcregister.php?acct=anselm (Only do the EXAM once you've completed the SURVEY)
- Enter the password: placement (case sensitive). Click Login.
- Choose the language you want to study from the dropdown menu. Click Begin.
- On the next screen, fill in your name, Student ID number (the username you use to login to the portal), and email. Click Continue at the bottom.
- You will receive a practice question, which will be labeled as such, with instructions on how to complete the exam. Choose your answer, and then click Submit Answer.
- Answer the questions to the best of your knowledge. Keep in mind that this is a placement exam-the best outcome is an accurate placement, not a specific score.
- When you are done, the results are displayed (and they go to Modern Languages). Please save your results. You'll need them when you register (take a photo with your phone, e-mail them to your self, print them out-just make a note of them). Click Finished.
All done! We look forward to meeting you! If you have questions, please contact Professor Jaime Orrego via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.