Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make an appointment for peer tutoring or writing assistance?
- To schedule appointments with peer tutors and writing assistants, you can either stop by the ARC or call the front desk at (603) 641-7017. If you find that you are unable to keep an appointment, kindly call this number to cancel your appointment, so we can make this time available to another student.
Are appointments required?
- Scheduling appointments allows students to reserve time in advance according to their convenience and schedules, but drop-in service is also available whenever peer tutors and writing assistants are not booked or meeting with other students.
Where is the ARC located?
- Cushing Student Center, Lower Level
What is the ARC's phone number?
When is the ARC open?
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- Friday: 8:00 am - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 12:00 pm - 12:00 a.m.
What can be expected from a tutorial session at the ARC?
- Our primary objective at the ARC is to help students become independent learners. To this end, peer tutors and writing assistants are trained to assist students in identifying appropriate study strategies and in developing practices and skills that lead to academic success. As with most other practices (e.g. athletics, music), learning is a process, so the amount of time and effort invested is proportionate to results. Plan to arrive to your appointments on time, prepared and focused.
What should I bring with me to a peer tutoring session?
- Please arrive to all appointments prepared with questions, worksheets, assignments, quizzes, exams, notes, books, everything associated with the course and lesson/chapter about which you have questions. You should also bring in your course syllabus as another tool to help peer tutors and writing assistants assess your learning needs. Please attempt all assignments and worksheets before your appointment.
What should I bring with me to a Writing Center appointment?
- Writing assistants can help you with any stage of the writing process, but if you wish assistance with an essay, you must bring in a printed copy of your essay draft. You should also bring in your essay assignment prompt.
How much does it cost for academic support services at the ARC?
- ARC services are available free of charge. The cost: your time. We expect that you will be fully present and focused during your appointments. To minimize distractions, we expect you to adhere to the College policy "On the use of Electronic Devices" in the Student Handbook. No texting during ARC appointments. Cell phones should remain off and out of sight.
Whom should I contact if I have questions or need assistance in a course not listed in TutorTrac?