Any student organization seeking recognition and funding from the Saint Anselm Student Government Association must have an advisor. This person must be a member of the College faculty or staff and agree to act in this role on a volunteer basis. The organization cannot participate in and/or conduct activities without the guidance of an advisor.
Responsibilities of student club and organization advisors
- Offer guidance by reviewing goals, objectives, and the progress of the organization.
- Act as a resource person for the organization. Advisors may have access to internal and external networks and information which may be helpful to student groups.
- Provide continuity from year to year. As the leadership of the organization changes, new leaders are often left without a sense of organizational history. Advisors provide for a smoother leadership transition.
- Offer experience and/or expertise in a particular area related to the group's purpose.
- Translate college policy for the organization when issues arise.
- Support, motivate, and encourage the organization's leaders and members as they take risks and face challenges.
- Develop and refine leadership skills with the organization's members.