Main Content

Refund Policy

Account Refunds

Refunds are issued on credit balance statements only. A credit balance statement occurs when a student's account is credited with disbursed financial aid and/or payments that exceed the total charges for the semester. All requests for refunds must be submitted in writing to Student Financial Services. An account refund will be made payable to the student unless the College is instructed otherwise in writing except for when the credit balance results from the deposit of proceeds from a Federal Parent PLUS loan. In which case, the refund will be made payable to the parent and mailed to the parent's home address on file with the College, unless the parent requests otherwise in writing. A minimum of two weeks should be allowed for processing.

Federal Financial Aid

Saint Anselm College complies with the refund policies contained in the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 under which the College is required to return Title IV funds (Perkins Loans, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Pell Grants and Guaranteed Student Loans) on a per diem basis when the student withdrawals before 60% of the payment period has been completed.

State and Outside Scholarships

State aid and outside scholarships will be refunded to the appropriate agencies in accordance with their respective policies. Alternative educational loans will be returned to the lender on the same percentage basis as Tuition and Institutional Aid. A student with an alternative loan who has an outstanding balance as a result of the refund calculation may be able to retain a greater percentage of the loan than that used in the refund calculation.

Leave of Absence

A student may apply to the dean of the college, the dean of students, or to the registrar for a leave of absence from the college. Students receiving financial assistance must have an exit interview with the director of financial aid before making application for a leave and limit the time of leave to a single semester. A leave of absence for students not receiving financial assistance is granted for a specific period of time, usually not more than two semesters. Applicants for a leave must have no outstanding debts at the college. A student on leave may apply for an extension.

To insure transferability of credits taken at other institutions during a leave of absence, students must obtain prior written approval of the courses from the dean of the college or the registrar. Courses undertaken without such approval are not transferable to Saint Anselm College. Provided that notification of the intention to resume studies at Saint Anselm has been received by the dean of the college at least one month in advance of the semester of return, a student on leave may return to the college at the end of the leave without applying for readmission.

Withdrawal From the College

A student desiring to withdraw from the College should consult with both the assigned academic advisor and the appropriate Dean. Students receiving financial aid should discuss the financial implications of this choice with the Office of Financial Aid and a member of the Student Financial Services team as there are often out-of-pocket costs associated with withdrawal as well as loan repayment obligations. The form for withdrawal from the College is available in the Office of the Dean of the College. It must be signed by the student and returned to the Office of the Dean of the College. The last documented academically-related activity, as indicated on the College withdrawal form, will be used to calculate tuition refunds and Title IV federal aid returns when applicable.

Contracted aid such as Athletic Scholarship, Debate Scholarship, Resident Assistant Grant, and Yearbook Grant are prorated on a per diem basis if a student ceases involvement in any one of these programs. The aid will be prorated in the semester the student ceases involvement and will be calculated from the first day of the enrollment period to the day the student stops the program.

Refunds for students who separate from the College, either through official withdrawal procedures or otherwise, will be determined as follows:

Tuition and Institutional Aid

  • Within the first two weeks of the semester: 80%
  • Within the third week of the semester: 60%
  • Within the fourth week of the semester: 40%
  • Within the fifth week of the semester: 20%
  • Beyond the fifth week: 0%


  • Within the first four-week period of the semester: 75%
  • Within the second four-week period of the semester: 50%
  • Within the third four-week period of the semester: 25%
  • beyond the twelfth week of the semester: 0%

Resident Meal Plan

  • Refunds are computed on a daily basis according to the amount remaining in the student's declining balance account.


  • Fees are non-refundable and are subject to change at any time by the Board of Trustees.

Tuition Refund Insurance

See Tuition Refund Insurance for information on how Gradgaurd can help refund your tuition, fees, and room/board charges, up to the policy limits, if you are unable to complete the semester due to a covered medical reason such as an illness, accident, or mental health issue (twenty-four hour hospital stay required for mental health related issues).

Withdrawal From Individual Classes

A student who drops a class during the first two weeks of the semester as a result of which there is a change in status, e.g. from full-time (12 or more credit hours) to part-time (11 or fewer credit hours), will receive a tuition refund of 80% of the full-time tuition charge. The student will be charged 80% of the per class cost multiplied by the number of classes being taken. Financial aid recipients should be aware that this will have an effect on their financial aid award. When a student withdraws from a class after the initial two-week refund period, there will be no tuition adjustment and the student's enrollment status will not change.

Changes from Non-Matriculated to Matriculated

If you begin as a non-matriculated student and change your status to matriculated, you are responsible for paying the difference between the cost of non-degree and matriculated course work for all non-matriculated courses taken. In other words, you must pay the equivalent of eight semester of full-time tuition for all Saint Anselm College course work before being granted a Saint Anselm College degree. Please note that financial aid cannot be awarded retroactively.

Please refer to the Online College Catalog for information regarding a leave of absence, withdrawal from, or readmission to the College.

View Mobile Site