Main Content

F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is for study in an academic program.

The F-1 permits students to be employed under certain conditions such as on-campus employment for undergraduate students. On-campus employment for F-1 students requires prior approval from the director of the multicultural center and is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. During school breaks and vacation periods, F-1 students are permitted to work on-campus for 40 hours weekly.

In order to participate in practical training programs F-1 students must obtain employment authorization from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. Authorization is limited to one year and is not renewable. F-1 students may also be eligible for curricular practical training with prior approval from the director of multicultural student services.

Getting Your Visa

When Should You Arrive?

View Mobile Site