Main Content

Getting Your Visa

Once your admission to Saint Anselm College is complete and you have satisfied the financial requirement for international students, you will receive a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for the F-1 Student Visa) from the director of multicultural student services.

You will be required to present this form, along with your valid passport, the letter of admission to Saint Anselm College, and all supporting financial documents (e.g. bank statements, scholarship award, affidavit of support from a sponsor) to the consular officer when you visit the United States Embassy or Consulate in your area. Make sure that all supporting financial documents are either originals on official letterhead or are properly notarized photocopies, are in English (or are accompanied by notarized translations) and show the funds in U.S. dollars or the U.S. dollar equivalent.

Immigration officials will inspect this certificate and your financial documents at your point of entry to the U.S., so keep these forms and your passport with you when you travel. If for any reason you are unable to attend Saint Anselm College as expected, you must return your Certificate of Eligibility to the director of multicultural student services. Detailed instructions and tips will be provided with your I-20.

NOTE to Canadian Students
While you are not required to obtain a visa or to carry a passport, you are required to present your Certificate of Eligibility and declare yourself as a student at the U.S. port-of-entry.

If you receive a Certificate of Eligibility from more than one school you must report to the school whose I-20 you use to enter the U.S. and meet their enrollment requirement, or you will be in violation of your student status.

If you are an international student already in the U.S. you will be asked to complete an International Student Transfer Form prior to receiving an I-20. Your transfer to Saint Anselm College will be completed during the New Student Orientation. Please note that this is a transfer in terms of immigration and is separate from any type of academic transfer process.

If you are already in the U.S. in a non-student visa classification, the director of multicultural student services will help you determine whether you need to change to a student classification. There are many non-immigrant visa categories which permit study. However, if you have been offered a scholarship or other type of aid, you may be required to change your status in order to accept the award.

View Mobile Site