How to apply for exempt review
Some research may be eligible for exemption from IRB review if all the activities associated with the research fall into one or more of six categories outlined in the federal guidelines 45 C.F.R. ş46.101. Note that determination of exemption status is made by the IRB, not the investigator. To apply for exempt review, send a short description of your research as an e-mail attachment to the chair of the IRB.
How to apply for expedited or full (convened) IRB review
- Download and complete the IRB Application Form (Word/208KB)
- Complete Additional Application Requirements outlined below
- Submit an electronic copy with scanned signatures of the complete IRB application form and all supplemental materials as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that complete research applications must be received at least 14 days prior to the next scheduled IRB meeting to be included in the agenda. IRB applications will not be reviewed until both copies of the application and all supporting materials have been received. Expedited reviews can be completed at anytime during the month.
- Mandatory Research Integrity Training. Saint Anselm College expects all researchers to conduct their work with the highest degree of integrity. To that end, the college has set forth minimum standards for mandatory research integrity training, including the following two requirements that are relevant to the IRB. Both courses are offered by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) and are available to Saint Anselm faculty and staff. For information on how to register download/view the CITI registration guide (Word/33KB).
- All individuals conducting research with human subjects are required to complete the Human Subjects online training course. Note that all principle investigators, responsible investigators, and co-investigators must enroll in the full training course by choosing either "Biomedical Research Investigators" or "Social and Behavioral Research Investigators." However, student research assistants who are working on research that has been deemed by the IRB to be no more than minimal risk are only required to enroll in the training module for "Students conducting no more than minimal risk."
- All individuals with externally funded research are required to complete the Responsible Conduct of Research online training course.
- Federal Guidelines. The IRB committee reviews all proposals to to ensure that they are in compliance with the Department of Health and Human Services regulations for the protection of Human Research Subjects (45 C.F.R. Part 46). Researchers are expected to have reviewed this document and written their proposal according to these federal guidelines.
- Student Research. Please note that student applications must be reviewed and signed by a supervising faculty member prior to submission (see application Section 2 under responsible investigators and Section 12 for signature page).