August 18, 2011
Story by: Center for Experiential Learning
Effective July 2011, two offices within the Center for Experiential Learning experienced names changes that better reflect their respective missions and functions:
- The Career Education Services office is now known as the Office of Career Services. Under this identity we will continue to expand outreach to employers and alumni, as well as continue to educate, inform and prepare our students for professional resiliency;
- The Meelia Center for Community Service has become The Meelia Center for Community Engagement. This new name better reflects the impact our services and students have on the surrounding community through volunteer/community service and service-learning. Especially as the Meelia Center becomes more entrenched in assisting and engaging with the various populations in the Greater Manchester (and surrounding)areas, we believe our new name more appropriately defines who we are.
We are also excited about future programming that will be administered by the CEL:
- Professional Development Week (October 24-27) will offer multiple career development programs including an Experience Fair (regional employers, internship sites, service-learning sites and partnership study abroad providers will be in attendance), an Etiquette Dinner, a Center for Experiential Learning Open House and other programs focused on preparing our students for professional life beyond Saint Anselm College;
- Beginning spring 2012, we will launch the Saint Anselm College Mentoring Program. This initiative, a partnership between the Manchester School District and the CEL, serves as a hybrid service-learning/internship program. Our students will serve as mentors and tutors to identified 4th, 5th and 6th graders in two Manchester schools for five (5) hours a week and attend a weekly seminar (1.15 hours) which explores the theory and practice of mentoring;
- Semester in Costa Rica, a Saint Anselm College signature study-abroad initiative, also launches in spring 2012. Students enrolled in this program will be able to receive Saint Anselm College course credits that will be factored into the GPA. While in Costa Rica, students will be able to participate in a comprehensive internship in addition to taking pre-approved classes in Spanish and Sociology or Peace and Justice. During the fall semesters, specific opportunities for science majors to conduct ecological research and field study are in substituted for the internship;
- Partnering with the Modern Languages department, in the summer of 2012 CEL will launch Learning and Serving in the Dominican Republic. This community service program, which is accompanied by an advance level Spanish course, will afford our students the opportunity to render service to children in an international community while earning Saint Anselm credit.
Come visit any of the Center for Experiential Learning offices - the Meelia Center for Community Engagement, the Internship Office, the Office of Career Services and the Study Abroad Office - to learn more about our services and programs. Our doors are always open and we welcome you and your ideas.