Geisel Library strives to maintain an environment that is both conducive to study and research as well as appropriate for the protection and preservation of library materials, equipment, furnishings, and technology. Food and beverages attract bugs, rodents, and other unwanted pests that may cause damage to library materials. Geisel Library requires that all patrons follow the below food policy to help preserve library collections and space.
- Small snacks and covered beverages are PERMITTED in most areas.
(Examples of approved snacks include: chips, nuts, energy bars, cookies, and other items sold in the library vending machines.)
- Meals that are messy, noisy, or strong smelling are NOT PERMITTED in the library.
(Examples include: pizza, take-out food, sandwiches, salads, ice cream, and food in containers from dining services)
- Food and beverages of any kind are NOT PERMITTED in any of the special collections rooms.
- Meals can be eaten in the foyer before entering the library.
- Deliveries of food to the library are NOT PERMITTED.
- Spills must be cleaned up immediately. If assistance is needed, contact library staff at any service desk.
- Dispose of all food and trash in the closest receptacle.
Library staff reserves the right to ask anyone eating food to stop eating and put or throw their food away. Any patron that does not adhere to the food and beverage policy will be asked to leave the premises.