Current Section

Fulbright Program

Bookmark and Share
Fulbright U.S. Student Program The U.S. Student Fulbright Program is now the largest exchange program in the country.

Main Content

Types of Grants

Prospective applicants should review the research/study grant application statistics for regional totals.

There are several different types of grants, including:

Full Fulbright Grants

Are usually for study in any field. For recently graduated seniors, this usually means being enrolled in a graduate program abroad. Usually (but not always) fluency in the country's official language is required for these grants. For graduate students, this may mean a wide range of activities from independent research to collaboration with local scholars.

Study or Research in Academic & Creative and Performing Arts Fields

The majority of U.S. Student Fulbright Grants are designed:

  1. To conduct study and/or research
  2. In one country
  3. For an academic year

These are the traditional Fulbright Grants and offer the greatest flexibility. 

Applicants design their own programs, which may include:

  • University coursework
  • Independent research
  • Professional training in the arts and other fields
  • A combination of these or other projects

Applicants for study/research grants will:

  • Select a country
  • Review the program priorities/requirements for the country
  • Discuss project ideas with faculty, adviser, FPA or mentor
  • Design their project proposal
  • Investigate, contact, and secure affiliations in the host country
  • Prepare supplementary materials (Creative/Performing Arts only)

Travel Grants

Travel-Only Grants are available in Italy, Germany, and Hungary only and are designed to supplement:

  1. an award from any source that does not provide for international travel
  2. a student's own funds for study or research

English Teaching Assistantships

Are another option for people without fluency in a foreign language if they wish to go to a non-English-speaking country. Theses grants typically fund students to come and learn the language or pursue independent projects part time while serving as a teaching assistant in English-language classes for children and high school students.

View Mobile Site