Life in Salem 1692
In 1692 Salem was a divided town. The western part of the town was not called Salem Town but Salem Village. Individuals who lived in the western part of the town were farmers. These farmers wanted to become separate from the main town which was located in the east. Those who wanted to remain a part of eastern town were typically located along the street known as Ipswich Road. This road was close to Salem Town and therefore the residents of this part of the village felt tied to the town’s economic prosperity (7).