Student Work and Activities
In addition to courses in studio art, art history, and music, all students as well as Fine Arts majors and minors can take advantage of many campus events and opportunities that combine practical learning experiences with community engagement.
Visit the Fine Arts Department Flickr gallery for a sampling of student, and faculty work and performances.
- Internships: on- and off-campus positions in museums, galleries, performing arts centers, advertising and design companies, music schools, and performing organizations
- Service Learning: classroom experiences put to work in the "real world"
- Study Abroad: study art and music all over the world
- Guest Lecturers and Performers: outside experts share their knowledge with students
- Visiting Artist Workshops: hands-on experience with professional artists
- Student Performance Groups: Saint Anselm College Choir, Jazz Band, Chamber Music Ensemble, Abbey Players
The Anselmian Abbey Players, the Saint Anselm College drama group, regularly offers plays and musicals throughout the year and offers students an excellent opportunity to participate in and to learn all phases of theatre production. Typical annual productions include the Family Weekend show, a night of one act plays, a spring semester musical, and scenes from Shakespearian plays.
Chamber Music Ensemble
Comprised of student, faculty and staff musicians, the Chamber Music Ensemble focuses on woodwind and string instruments in order to promote a greater presence of music on campus through the performance of popular to classical pieces. The Ensemble performs at events around campus, such as award ceremonies and Mass, as well off-campus at local nursing homes and churches.
The Jazz Band promotes the study of the art of music in the most professional way possible, motivating the individual members in all musical fields, specifically jazz. The organization seeks to stimulate interaction among students and faculty through both formal and informal performances.
Lucubrations is a Cultural Magazine for the Saint Anselm Community. It publishes, in both informal and formal settings, thoughtful content of all descriptions from art, photography, and music to literature, essays, and poetry.
The Art Society seeks to promote the appreciation of art on campus and to bring together students with common interests in art and art history. It is open to all students at Saint Anselm College - not just Fine Arts Majors and Minors. The club organizes informal museum and gallery field trips, movie nights with art films, and additional art-related events. SAAS also volunteers with the Meelia Center for Community Service in order to promote community awareness and an appreciation for art.