This page provides faculty and staff with information on student employees. If you have available positions, the Office of Human Resources (HR) will post the opening. Submit the job opening to HR for approval and it will be posted online and on bulletin boards around campus.

When you fill the position there are steps you must take before your student(s) can begin working. See the Hiring Process page for step-by-step instructions. Also if the student is receiving Federal Work Study (FWS), he or she must present you with his or her work study authorization letter. For ALL student employees yellow card verification is required.

Student and Federal Work Study are paid on a bi-weekly basis.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

  • Federal Work Study is money awarded to students in their financial aid package.
  • Earnings are limited to the amount awarded to them by financial aid.
  • International students do not qualify for FWS.
  • Earnings are paid to students via paycheck and do not reduce tuition.
  • For questions related to remaining award amounts to be earned, contact financial aid at (603) 641-7110 or at

The college's student employment program includes Federal Work Study (FWS) and Student Payroll (STU).

  • Submit Job Openings

    HR will help you market your open positions, which can be found online or on bulletin boards around campus: outside the Office of Human Resources (third floor, Alumni Hall) and outside the financial aid office.

    Submitting a student employment job opening to Human Resources is as easy as one, two, and three. Simply follow the instructions below. If you have any questions, please contact the HR office at (603) 641-7381.

    Submit your student job openings through email

    Jobs can be e-mailed to and will be posted on the Job Opening page on the current student's student employment Web site and on the bulletin boards near Human Resources and Financial Aid offices.

    Please include the following information with your e-mail job submission:

    • student job title (see job descriptions below)
    • department name
    • department contact
    • phone
    • building
    • anticipated number of positions available
    • anticipated total number of hours of student employment per week
    • type of position: federal work student or student payroll

    Complete a Student Employment Job Application

    All new student workers should complete a Student Employment Job Application. Please feel free to you use a different application as your department sees fit. Students returning to the same department do not need to complete a job application. This application is for departmental use and does not need to be forwarded to Human Resources.

  • Hiring Process

    When a student job position has been filled there are steps you must take before the student can begin working.

    1. Students should fill out student application form (Word/32KB). Please retain completed application for your records. Students can find additional forms and information on student employment in the current student section of the web site.
    2. You must give your student worker(s) a "Student Employment Offer Letter" (triplicate form; can be obtained from HR). You must fill out this letter, not the student. Keep pink for your records, give yellow to the student, and deliver the white copy to HR. If the student has a yellow card, you may inter-office the HR copy to HR. If the student DOES NOT have a yellow card (because he/she is a freshman or has never worked on campus before) then the student must come to HR with the completed Student Employment Offer letter and original IDs to do an I9 and W4. The student will be given a Yellow Card.
    3. The student you are hiring, FWS or payroll, must present you with his or her yellow card. The Office of Human Resources (HR) gives students a yellow card when they have completed the necessary paperwork and are considered eligible to work. If the student does not have a yellow card or has lost it, please send them to HR. Students cannot begin to work until all their paperwork has been completed.
    4. If you hire for FWS positions, verify student FWS eligibility by asking to see the student Federal Work Study authorization letter. Students receive the letter via email from HR in August confirming how much money they are eligible to earn. If the student doesn't have the letter send them to HR (third floor, Alumni Hall). If the student is concerned about the amount of money they can earn, tell them to contact financial aid at (603) 641-7110.

    If you have any questions call HR at (603) 641-7381.

  • Payment Information

    Each department is allocated funds for FWS and/or student payroll. Budget and Planning provides each department with budget allocations in August. Given finite resources, FWS is given priority over student payroll. If you have questions about department budget allocations call budget and planning at (603) 641-7199.

    Students are paid bi-weekly by the Business Office. Federal Work Study students use green timesheets and payroll students use yellow timesheets. Both timesheets can be found in the cashier's office. At the end of the two week pay period timesheets are tallied, signed by the student and his or her supervisor, and submitted to Payroll or Cashier's Office by 12 p.m. on Monday according to the pay schedule. View Student/FWS pay schedule online or pick up a copy in the Cashier's Office (open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.).

    Wage Rates

    Starting pay for a first time student employee, FWS and payroll, is typically $7.25/hr. Students' rate of pay increases based on the number of years they've worked for your department. Positions in Davison Hall, the Coffee Shop and pub, physical plant, the phone-a-thon and the Meelia Center for Community Engagement start at a higher rate of pay.

    Federal Work Study and Student Payroll Wage Rates

    General $7.25/hr
    Physical Plant/Sullivan Ice Arena $8/hr
    Dining Services (Davison, Catering & Coffee Shop) $10/hr
    Meelia Center & ARC $7.25-9/hr
    Phonathon $7.75/hr

    Students returning to the same department each year (except Meelia Center, Davison, Coffee Shop & Catering) will receive $0.20 increase in hourly rate. Summer minimums: no change from the academic year.