Financial Aid FAQs

To assist students through the financial aid process, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, please contact our Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Applying for Aid

  • The FAFSA asks for tax information from my parents and me. What should I do if I haven’t filed my tax returns?

    The FAFSA uses income tax information from two years prior.  For example, for the 2021-2022 FAFSA, you will enter your and your parent's 2019 federal tax information.  However, if you or your parent have not yet filed your 2019 taxes, you may fill out your FAFSA using estimated tax information. You’ll have the opportunity to correct this information when you receive the processed Student Aid Report (SAR). It’s better to use estimated tax information than risk missing the financial-aid deadline.

  • What should I do if I have special circumstances not indicated in the FAFSA?

    Send a letter detailing those circumstances, along with appropriate documentation, to the Saint Anselm College Office of Financial Aid. Examples of special circumstances could be loss of employment, unusually high medical expenses, or reduced income. Upon receipt of your letter and documentation, your eligibility will be re-evaluated.

  • I consider myself independent. Can I file as an independent student?

    We believe financing your education is a family responsibility to the extent your family is able to help. Undergraduates who have living parents generally are required to file as dependent students. You may not file as an independent student unless you have highly unusual circumstances. Talk to a member of the financial aid staff if you think your circumstances warrant filing as an independent student.

  • How do I access my financial aid offer?


    • Admitted Students:

    In addition to a mailed copy of your financial aid offer, an online copy of your financial aid offer is sent to the email address you used on your Common Application.  You can also view the details of your financial aid offer on your Anselmian Aid portal.  

    • Current Students:

    The details of your financial aid offer is available to view on your Anselmian Aid (formerly Net Partner) portal accessed via your MyAnselm portal - click on My Finances, then My Financial Aid, and then Anselmian Aid).

Merit Aid and Non-Need-Based Aid

  • What happens if I receive a scholarship from an outside source?

    When you receive an award from an outside source, we will first fill any unmet need and then, if necessary, reduce your self-help resources (loan and/or work study), and gift aid. We do this to encourage you to seek outside sources of aid. In recognition of the effort you made to obtain the award, we do not first seek to reduce your grant aid.  However, any scholarships awarded over the amount of unmet need and self-help may result in a reduction of Saint Anselm College grant and/or scholarship aid.

    Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid of any outside scholarship(s) received due to the federal government's mandates. We must include all outside scholarships as part of your financial aid funding.

  • How do I apply for a merit scholarship?

    Saint Anselm automatically considers all qualified applicants. We base selection on rigor of your high-school curriculum, secondary school grade-point average, rank in class, standardized test scores, overall superior academic performance, and extracurricular involvement.

  • Can middle-income families with relatively high incomes qualify for financial aid?

    Yes. Families with two or more children in college at the same time, for example, often demonstrate financial need even though they might be considered in the upper-middle income category. Students who believe they need financial assistance to meet the cost of attending Saint Anselm College should apply for financial aid.

  • What happens if I take a leave of absence or withdraw from Saint Anselm?

    If you plan to take a leave of absence or withdraw from Saint Anselm College, you should schedule an appointment with Student Financial Services ( to discuss the financial implications of that decision. Withdrawing from Saint Anselm College during the semester may entitle you to a partial refund depending upon the date of departure. The total amount of your refund will be determined according to Saint Anselm College and federal refund policies. We must return all unused money to the federal government.  Please note that if you withdraw, you could owe money to Saint Anselm. 

    Week Refund
    1-2 80%
    3 60%
    4 40%
    5 20%

    Housing refunds are calculated on a monthly basis and resident meal plans are prorated on a per diem basis.

How Financial Aid is Determined

Change of Residency Status

  • Will my financial aid change if I decide to live off-campus?

    Your need-based and non-need based financial aid may be affected by a change in residency status. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible if you are considering a move from on- to off-campus or vice versa. We will create a workup for you which details the difference in your financial aid and affect on your bill for on- vs off-campus.

Loans/Managing Debt/Financial Literacy

  • What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized Federal direct loan?

    For subsidized loans, the government pays the interest on the loan while you are going to school.  Interest begins accruing on subsidized loans 6 months after you graduate or cease attending at least half-time.

    For unsubsidized loans, interest begins accruing on the loan from the date the loan posts to your student account.   It is strongly recommended that you make regular payments for at least the minimum monthly accrued interest.  At the time of loan repayment (6 months after you graduate or cease attending at least half-time), any unpaid accrued interest will be added onto the principal of the loan ("capitalized") and you will then pay interest on your interest.  Please contact your loan servicer to determine what you may owe in accrued interest.

  • How do I accept the Federal Direct Loans offered?

    The Federal Direct Loan(s) included with your financial aid offer are automatically accepted on your behalf.  However, in order for us to disburse your loans to your student account, you must complete two requirements:

    • Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
    • Direct Loan Master Promissory Note

    Both of these must be completed at Federal Student Aid (log in with your (student's) Federal Student Aid ID and password (same ID as used to complete your FAFSA).

  • How do I decline my Federal Direct Loans?

    The Federal Direct Loan(s) included with your financial aid offer are automatically accepted on your behalf.  If you choose to reduce or decline your direct loan(s), you must contact the Office of Financial Aid at or (603) 641-7110.  If the direct loan has already disbursed to your account, you have 120 days from the date of disbursement to decline or reduce the loan and we will return the loan (or portion of loan) for you.  If the request is after the 120 days, then you would need to make the payment directly to the loan servicer.

  • How do I find out who my loan servicer is?

    Soon after your first federal direct loan posts to your student account, your loan servicer will send you an email (to the email address you used when you created your Federal Student Aid ID) encouraging you to create an online account to monitor your federal direct loans.

    You can also find your loan servicer by logging into NSLDS (the National Student Loan Data System) with your Federal Student Aid ID and password (the same ID and password as used for completing the FAFSA).  From your loan history, click on loan details to find contact information for your loan servicer.

  • Where can I find more information on my loan repayment options?

    Federal Student Aid provides detailed information on the different loan repayment options. 

    We have also teamed up with Solutions at ECMC.  This vendor is a great resource for one-on-one loan counseling while you are a student here and anytime after you graduate.  In addition to tools like loan repayment calculators, Solutions at ECMC has many financial literacy short videos on topics including budgeting, credit, debt management, etc. Check them out online and follow them on Facebook and Twitter!

    And, of course, you can make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid to review loan repayment options as well.