Adam Schiff Speaks on Mueller, 2020 at Politics & Eggs
By Sarah Murphy '20 | February 6, 2019
During a visit to the Granite State on February 4, Congressman Adam Schiff stopped by the Bedford Village Inn for Politics & Eggs. Schiff is serving his 10th consecutive term in Congress and currently represents California’s 28th Congressional District. He recently became the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, having previously served as Ranking Member on the Committee since 2015.
It was at the Politics & Eggs event that Schiff officially announced he will not be running in the 2020 presidential election.
“I am not running. In terms of who is running and who is in the best position to defeat Mr. Trump, I think we have a lot of extraordinary candidates and I will be looking, as I know you will, to see who has enough to get through the primary process,” he said.
Schiff has not yet put his support behind a specific candidate for 2020.
The Congressman commented on the level of participation of New Hampshire voters, saying, “This is really a time when the country is calling out to all of us to do our part, and you in New Hampshire have such a vital role to play. You make the rest of the country envious.”
This statement is in-tune with the notes of many recent speakers at Politics & Eggs as well as other recent events at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics (NHIOP).
Schiff spoke on several other issues. He touched on President Donald Trump's border wall and the Mueller investigation. “This is too big to be buried,” he shared of the report.
The Congressman expressed his concern about another looming government shutdown and the possibility of Trump declaring a national emergency in order to build the wall.
“Would the Congress be in a position to pass, essentially, a resolution of disapproval or a resolution, which would negate the emergency powers? And the answer is yes,” Schiff said.
- NECN: U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff Says He's Not Running for President During NH Stop
- The Washington Post: Appearing in New Hampshire, Rep. Adam Schiff says he is not running for president
- NHPR: Adam Schiff Visits N.H., Says He's Not Running In 2020
- FOX: Adam Schiff, in New Hampshire, calls Trump a ‘deeply unethical president’
- Washington Examiner: Adam Schiff jokes in New Hampshire: Like Ocasio-Cortez, I'm not old enough to run for president
- Union Leader: During New Hampshire visit, Congressman Schiff says he will not seek the Oval Office