Career Exploration and Planning
What Can I Do With My Major/Degree?
- Need some help understanding what career opportunities you will have with various majors? Ever wonder what you can actually do with the major you've already chosen?
- What Can I Do With This Major, allows you to explore typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate. You can continue your research on majors and careers through the websites provided.
Visit the What Can I Do With This Major Web site to get started with your analysis.
Get FOCUS-ed and On-Track
FOCUS 2 is a self-paced, online career and education planning tool. It will enable you to assess your career-relevant personal qualities and explore career fields and major areas of study that are most compatible with your assessment results.
- The FOCUS 2 system enables you to identify occupations that best match your personal qualities and the requirements for those occupations. You will be able to review the occupations that most appeal to you as potential career goals. This information will help you choose the career and/or major area of study that best supports your career goals.
Visit the FOCUS 2 Web site to get started with your planning.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- The Career Services staff is certified in the MBTI which will tell you a lot about your personality type and how it relates to the world or work. Students interested in learning more about this assessment tools should contact Career Services.
Strong Interest Inventory
This assessment tool is ideal for a wide range of student needs including:
- Choosing a college major-helps students uncover their career interests and identify which areas of study are appropriate or required for a particular field
- Career exploration-opens up the world of work to first-time career seekers and those considering career transition by identifying their interests and demonstrating how they relate to various occupations and careers
- Career development-helps heighten individuals' self-awareness and provide deeper understanding of individual strengths and blind spots, including work style and risk-taking orientation
Contact the Career Development Center to learn more.