- Course Dates: January 7 - 15, 2017 plus spring semester class
- Application & Deposit Deadline: August 30, 2016
- Program Fee: $2,300 (plus airfare)
- Faculty Director: Professor Pamela Preston-Safarz DNP, RN
- Apply Today! The program has reached capacity. Please email Sarah Keefe to be added to the waiting list.
Are you a nursing major and always wanted the opportunity to study abroad? Now is your chance! All rising juniors (class of 2018) can elect to complete the clinic component of NU449 Community/Public Health in Costa Rica in January 2017. If you elect to complete your clinical abroad you will be enrolled in NU 449 during the spring 2017 semester.
The focus of this course is community and public health nursing. In class, you will explore the role of the nurse in health promotion and disease prevention in the global theater. The concepts of epidemiology, communicable disease, environmental health, and disaster relief will be discussed. Public health issues such as the global health care environment and work with vulnerable populations will be explored. Sociocultural influences on health such as immigration, health care access and cost will be addressed from national and global perspectives. Course content will incorporate economic, legal, and ethical perspectives. Clinical placement in Costa Rica will incorporate the concepts addressed in the course and more specifically those related to global health. You will have the ability to provide care to a socioeconomically diverse group and develop cultural competence, awareness and knowledge. You will be assist at clinics in urban communities, urban shanty communities and perform home visits with the local nursing staff.
Although prior knowledge of Spanish is helpful it is not required. Throughout the duration of the program interpreters will be accompanying the group.
NU449 will fulfill the global engagement core requirement.
What's included in the program fee:
- Group airport pick up and drop office in Costa Rica
- On-site orientation
- Most meals
- Cultural Activities and excursions
- International health and travel insurnace
What's not included:
- Airfare: $750 (estimate) - the Office of International Programs will book a group flight and bill students for the actual cost of the flight.
- Passport fee: $185
- Costa Rica aiport departure tax: $30
- Spending money
- $500 deposit due with application by August 30, 2016
- October 1 - $1,275 due
- November 1 - $525 plus flight cost due (est. $750)