Students who complete this program will be prepared to use computer modeling and numerical methods to provide understanding of physical and chemical processes and to make predictions regarding the outcomes of such processes.
Requirements of the interdisciplinary minor:
A total of 5 computational physical science courses, no more than one of which fulfills a requirement of the student's major, must be completed to meet the requirements of this minor. A student must:
- Earn a grade of C or better in each of the 5 courses required for the minor,
- Earn an average grade of 2.33 (C+) or better in the aggregate of the 5 courses, and
- Take MA370 Numerical Analysis/Scientific Computation and PH321 Formal Logic, and
- 3 technical electives from the list of courses below subject to the following constraints by major:
Physics and Chemistry Majors: One of the technical electives must be a computer science course and the others must be from among the computer science and mathematics courses.
Computer Science Majors: One of the technical electives must be a physical science course and the others must be from among the physical science and mathematics courses.
Mathematics Majors: One of the technical electives must be a physical science course and the other two must be computer science courses.
All Other Majors: One of the technical electives must be a physical science course, one must be a computer science course, and the third technical elective must be either a mathematics course or another computer science course.
- MA370 Numerical Analysis/Scientific Computation (prerequisite: MA220 Vector Anal. & Diff. Eq.)
- MA480 Topics in Math: 3D computation and Visualization
Computer Science Courses
- CS111 Computing I or CS112 Computing II
- CS213 Data Structures and Algorithms (prerequisite: CS112 Computing II)
- CS255 Computer Graphics (prerequisite: CS111 Computing I)
- Any 300 CS level course: CS3XX
Physical Science Courses
- CH280 Physical Chemistry I (prerequisite: MA180 Calc II, PS131 Class. Physics I)
- CH281 Physical Chemistry II (prerequisite: CS280 Physical Chemistry I)
- CH310 Analytical Chemistry II: Instrumental Analysis (prerequisite :CS280 P. Chemistry I)
- CH380 Physical Chemistry III (prerequisite: CS281 Physical Chemistry II)
- PHYSICS: Any Physics course level 200 or above: PS2XX, PS3XX or PS4XX