Main Content

Passport and Visa Information


Passports are an official identity document issued by your own government.  All students must have a passport in order to participate in any study abroad program, and it must be valid for at least 6 months past the end of your program of study.

How to Get a Passport

APPLY NOW through the US Department of State or through the local post office if this is your first passport.  All students traveling outside of North America will need a passport book.

Non-US citizen passport regulations and requirements will be different if you are not a US citizen; contact the nearest embassy or consulate for your country of origin for details.


  • Sign your passport as soon as you get it.
  • Guard your passport. While traveling always keep your passport on your person (ideally, in a hidden pouch under your clothes).
  • Make Photocopies. Make copies of the identification pages of your passport and keep them in a safe place, along with two extra passport photos. You may want to store these with a list of credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and telephone numbers for canceling lost or stolen credit cards.
  • Family Help: Leave photocopies of the identification pages of your passport with a family member. And make sure that at least one family member has a valid passport in case you become seriously ill and need your family to travel to be with you.

Lost Passports

Loss or theft of a US passport should be reported immediately to the Passport Services office at the US Department of State in Washington (202-955-0430) or to the nearest US consulate or embassy in your host country, local police authorities, and your on-site coordinator. The US Department of State or local consulate will assist you in replacing your passport.  For additional information about lost passports visit the US Department of State website.


  • Are a special approval that some governments require of you as permission to enter and stay in their country,
  • Often come as a sticker in your passport by the issuing foreign government sometimes electronic,
  • Are not required for every country, please consult your program specific orientation guides for further information.
View Mobile Site