The Study Abroad Office at Saint Anselm College provides a variety of semester and year or short-term programs options for you to choose from. The destinations to choose from are as wide-ranging as the reasons to study abroad. In recent years, Saint Anselm students have studied around the world in Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America. The Study Abroad Office has created an Approved Programs List to help guide you in where you can study abroad.
Things to Think About When Choosing a Study Abroad Program:
Reflect on your reasons for studying abroad, what you're looking for in a location, and what you are hoping to gain from the experience (e.g. language acquisition, resume building, cultural experience, personal development, etc.). Consider the dates of the semester and the length of the program - semester programs in the southern hemisphere usually run from early February to late June and from mid-July to late November.
Learn about your country/countries of interest. Do you know anything about the people, government, cities, culture, religion....?? Knowing a little more about locations will help you to make an educated decision about your study abroad destination.
Reflect on the type of university setting you want to study at. What size institution do you want to study at? Housing- do you want to live in an apartment, a residence hall or a homestay? Is a having a meal plan important to you?
Look over study abroad programs that are of interest to you. Call the study abroad provider and speak with their program managers. These are the people that you will turn to regarding all of your site-specific questions. Ask them questions about the overseas location so that you can learn more about your options and decide which one will fit your interests best.
Learn about what types of courses are offered. Look at the programs that are of interest to you and what courses each program offers. Please Note: This step can be difficult to fully grasp and may require the assistance of the Study Abroad Office.
Go to the study abroad provider's website to get the most up-to-date information on course offerings. Call the provider's program manager if you are having difficulty accessing current course offerings.
Do your homework! Finding the right study abroad destination and school requires some research on your part.
Explore Program Options:
Finding a study abroad program that meets your academic interests and personal goals is an important first step in the international learning experience.
- Before deciding on a program, consider your academic goals, skills and personal interests.
- Search through the available programs to find a program that best suits you.
- The Study Abroad Office is available throughout the research and selection process to advise on program options and benefits. Use these resources to find a program that suits you:
- Download the list of semester long approved study abroad programs
- Explore the world map listing the approved study abroad programs
- Materials for all the approved programs can be found in the Study Abroad Office.
If after reviewing the Saint Anselm College Approved Programs List, you cannot find a program that meets their academic requirements, there are a two options:
1. Review them again because the other option below involves significantly more individual work and responsibility.
2. Petition to the Study Abroad Office to have a non-approved program granted a One-time Approval. To learn about the One-time Approval Policy please review the Policy Document (PDF/213K). The One-time Approval Process is outlined here (PDF/265K).