How big is the choir?
- Between 70 and 100 students, depending on how great the response is from your class.
What does the choir do?
- The college choir is a liturgical choir and we sing the student Sunday evening Mass each week and on special occasions such as Family Weekend and other college events. In addition we have two special performances in our Concert Series: "DecemberSong" (the first Saturday after Thanksgiving Weekend) and an annual Spring Concert in March or April. In addition, selected members of the choir are given opportunities to sing at other events on campus. In addition to this, during Spring Break of even-numbered year, members of the choir CONCERT TOUR abroad.
How much time does the choir require?
- Rehearsals are on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m., and Sunday evening at 6 p.m. (a warm-up for the 7 p.m. Mass). In addition there is one special weekend practice in the fall semester. That's all.
I'm concerned about the academic pressure and don't know if I should commit to the choir right now.
- You will find, and choir members will back me up on this, that being in the choir will actually help you handle the academic pressure. It provides a stress release, the music refreshes the mind and soul and spirit and helps balance out your brain energies, it keeps you coming to church, it helps develop your spirituality, gives you a sense of belonging and an outlet for very worthwhile community service.
How much experience do I need? Are there auditions?
- Any experience at all is desirable although some students have actually begun their singing careers in choir. There is a required audition which is not terribly difficult. You can get more information about the audition at the choir website.
I'm interested in joining the theater group. Is it possible to be involved in both activities?
- Yes. The Abbey Players and the Choir arrange their schedules so that there are no rehearsal conflicts. Many students are involved in both programs (provided they can keep their grades up.)
As a freshman, am I eligible to go on the Concert Tour Abroad?
- All accepted members of the choir are eligible to go on Tour. The next tour will be during spring break of 2016. The destination will be to Ireland.
OK. I'm interested. What do I do next?
Email Eric Bermani, Director of Liturgical Music at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your name, address, e-mail and cell phone number. Please list what voice part you sing and briefly describe your former experience. Once registered, you will get further information via email when you come to campus.