Open the Control Panel (via the Start button, or via My Computer)
Open the Network Connections icon
1. Right click on the "Wireless Network Connection", and choose Status (see snapshot #1).
2. Below is the Status dialogue. If you are already connected, it will indicate this.
3. Above, if not connected, click on the button "View Wireless Networks" to choose a wireless network (snapshot #3).
4. Click Refresh network list if there is no wireless network to choose, where it says "Searching." above. "Geisel Wireless" needs to appear as a choice (snapshot #4).
5. Click on Geisel Wireless, and click the Connect button.
A "waiting for the network" window may appear:
Once you've connected, it will say "Connected" in the upper right hand corner of the "Geisel Wireless" box:
6. In snapshot #6, "Geisel Wireless" is in dark blue. You can right click on this and choose Properties:
7. Shown are "Available" networks, and "Preferred networks"
(it sometimes helps to add Geisel Wireless as a preferred network, and making it first choice, using the Configure button, but this is not normally necessary)
This subsequent advanced button leads to a dialogue regarding preferred connections, snapshot #8.
8. The Library encourages the above choice.
(Patrons who bring their own laptops may want to also check the "Automatically." option.)
After hitting Close, choose the Advanced TAB (upper right) (not button):
9. Click Settings to turn Firewall On.