Br. Norman Hipps, O.S.B., President, Saint Vincent College
It is my honor as a monk of Saint Vincent Archabbey, grandmother of Saint Anselm Abbey, and in the name of the Association of Benedictine Colleges and Universities, 14 in number, to offer congratulations to Saint Anselm College and best wishes, as well as a pledge of mutual support, to President Steven DiSalvo. Let me remind us all of a commitment that Benedictine colleges and universities make as articulated in a 1993 statement, authored here at Saint Anselm, by Fr. Jonathan and Br. Dietrich, late president of St. John's University: "we Benedictine colleges concretize Gospel values as interpreted by the Rule of Saint Benedict and therefore take seriously:
1. The primacy of God and the things of God;
2. Reverent listening for the varied ways in which God is revealed;
3. The formation of community built on respect for individual persons who are each regarded as Christ himself;
4. The development of a profound awareness of the meaning of one's existence and
5. The exercise of good stewardship.
Through these emphases we strive to promote the common good of Church and society and assist individuals to lead lives of balance, generosity and integrity."
I'm sure the Jesuits have prepared you well, Steven. We eagerly look forward to the wisdom and experience that you bring to our common purpose.
This is a happy day in Manchester.