We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions our admission staff receive.

If you don't see an answer to your question below, please contact the Office of Admission for assistance.

Admission Review Process

Do you give credit for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams?

The College may award credit for an AP score of 4, or 5 in any recognized discipline. Credit is awarded for a score of 5, 6, or 7 on a Higher Level IB Examination. AP and IB credit may be used to satisfy general requirements. Each academic department maintains its own policy regarding the use of AP or IB credit for placement in courses and progress in the major. Students are encouraged to consult the Office of the Registrar and their class Dean to discuss degree planning and potential Financial Aid implications.

Do you give credit for dual enrollment courses?

Yes. Admitted students may submit college transcripts of courses they completed while in high school. Credit will be awarded based on the grade received and the program in which you are enrolling. To learn more about what courses may transfer, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

How do I receive credit for advanced placement and the international baccalaureate?

In general, the equivalent of one or two courses are issued for each acceptable exam result. Individual academic departments at Saint Anselm vary in how and if they award credit for students who have taken the IB Higher Level examinations. This information outlines the standard policies; should you desire further explanation, please consult the appropriate academic department. Each successfully completed Higher Level examination with the conditions noted must be submitted to the Office of Admission prior to a student's matriculation at the College. Students who have taken both AP and IB examinations do not receive credit/placement for both.


Where can I find admission requirements?

The application requirements for first-year studentstransfer students, and international students are specialized, as the educational backgrounds of applicants can differ greatly. Please review the list of requirements carefully, and contact the Office of Admission if you have additional questions.


What do you look at when evaluating an application?

Our admission process is selective. You can read more about our review process here


Do you have a "Need Blind" admission policy?

Need blind means that all admissions decisions are made without any knowledge of students' and parents' financial circumstances. While Saint Anselm adheres to a need-blind admission policy for most of its admission decisions, budgetary constraints sometimes result in need-sensitive admission decisions for a small segment of the applicant population (primarily international students and those on the waitlist).


Does Saint Anselm College admit incoming freshmen directly into the baccalaureate program in nursing or is there a separate admission process?

Students interested in the nursing program submit the same application materials as all other applicants. We enroll about 90 first year students into the four-year nursing program each fall. First year students must apply directly to the nursing program and be admitted to the nursing program. At this time, we do not accept transfer nursing applications.


Do you offer interviews?

Interviews are offered to all eligible students prior to the release of their admission decision. Students can schedule an interview on our visit page. Interviews are not required and are not considered when evaluating an application.


About Saint Anselm College

How large is Saint Anselm College?

Our student body is approximately 2,000 students.  


How large is the freshman class?

A typical freshman class includes between 525 and 550 full-time students.  


What is the average class size?

The average class has 18 students. By junior year, most students will take courses that have 15 students or fewer. Our student/faculty ratio is 11 to 1. Saint Anselm does not have teaching assistants or graduate assistants.  


What are your most popular majors?

In keeping with national trends, the most popular majors are Communication, Business, Psychology, Education, Biology, and Politics. Our nationally recognized Nursing program, and long-standing Criminal Justice programs are also very popular with our students. Please visit our academics page to learn more about our majors.  


How do you pronounce "Anselm"?

Anselm is pronounced as An-Selm. Think Elm tree! 


Who was Saint Anselm?

Saint Anselm was a Benedictine monk and scholar, who is recognized for his application of reason in exploring the mysteries of the faith and for his definition of theology as "faith seeking understanding." Read more about Saint Anselm


Do I have to be Catholic to come to Saint Anselm College?

Saint Anselm College is a Benedictine Catholic institution that welcomes students, faculty, and staff of all faiths and religions. Our institution abides by the principles of religious freedom, encouraging individuals and groups to practice their own faith as they choose. Numerous programs and services are offered for students, faculty, and staff to encourage their spiritual growth and religious faith.


What type of academic support services do you offer?

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) offers students assistance in developing or refining the academic skills that lead to college success. The Center's professional and student staff provide services such as learning skills instruction, writing support, and peer tutoring. Workshops, as well as individual instruction help, prepare our students to achieve high academic success. The ARC offers an 8-week program to help first-year students develop skills and strategies essential for academic success.

The ARC also arranges for academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Students are welcome to contact Jenne Powers Director, or call (603) 641-7193 for more information about college policies relating to disabilities and the procedure for applying for academic accommodations. Saint Anselm College complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and with the American Disabilities Act (ADA).


About the Campus

Is on-campus housing guaranteed for four years?

Yes, housing is guaranteed to all students who are resident students during their freshman year. Currently, 92% of the student body lives on campus in over 30 residence halls.


Can I have a car on campus for 4 years?

Yes. Students are allowed to have a car on campus throughout their 4 years. Students with cars are required to purchase a parking permit through the Office of Campus Safety and Security.



What division are your intercollegiate sports?

Saint Anselm competes in the NCAA Division II in the Northeast-10 Conference, is a member of the New England Women's Hockey Alliance (Division I, women's ice hockey), and the East Coast Conference (women's bowling).

What athletic facilities are available on campus?

Our athletic facilities are rated among the finest in the Northeast-10 Conference, boasting the 2,500 seat Grappone Stadium and turf field, the Thomas F. Sullivan Arena for our ice hockey teams, and Kavanaugh Field at Sullivan Park for our baseball team. The Carr Center and Spagnuolo Fitness Center is open to the general Saint Anselm population, providing state-of-the-art cardiovascular equipment, weight machines, and free weights. A weight room and study space are also available in the Carr Center for varsity athletes.

How do I contact a coach?

If you are interested in playing at the intercollegiate level, you are strongly encouraged to make verbal contact with the proper head coach, as well as provide any materials requested by the head coach to support your athletic ability. Contact information for each coach can be found on our athletics page


Financial Aid

How much does it cost to attend Saint Anselm College?

Please visit our Tuition and Financial Aid page.

Do you offer merit scholarships?

Yes. Merit scholarships are granted based on evaluation of each application. Applicants who display exemplary academic credentials and involvement will receive merit aid. Students do not need to apply for merit aid separately. 

Do you offer work-study jobs on campus? 

Yes. Federal Work-Study (FWS) is money awarded to you as part of your financial aid package funded by the Federal government and the college. It provides funds that are earned through part-time employment at the college. Federal Work Study makes you eligible to earn a specified amount of money for working on campus. Through work-study you earn a paycheck every two weeks. Although work-study students are eligible to earn a specified amount of money, this eligibility does not guarantee employment or earnings. The college tries to employ as many students as possible.

Can I work on campus if I don't have work-study? 

Yes. Any Saint Anselm student can work on campus as part of the college's Student Payroll Program (STU). Student payroll positions are available in select offices on campus and are paid for by the college.


International Admission

Can Proof of English Proficiency be waived?

If you feel that you have demonstrated English proficiency in a way not specified by our admission requirements, please contact Marilu McCambly to discuss meeting our requirements.

Can I talk to a current Saint Anselm College student before making my decision?

Yes. Our students are happy to connect with you over Zoom to help you make an informed decision and to better understand the student perspective. Please contact Marilu McCambly to schedule a Zoom call with a current student.

Will it cost more if I study two majors?

No. Students have the opportunity to study two majors (double major) while at Saint Anselm College. Students will be required to maintain full-time status by taking at least 12 credit hours per semester. Each student will work with an academic advisor to ensure that they are taking the required courses for both majors.

As an international students, what are my options for employment?

International students who are enrolled full-time at Saint Anselm College are able to work on campus. Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. Additionally, international students may be able to work more than 20 hours per week during vacation and holiday periods. International students are not allowed to work off-campus.

When must I arrive to campus?

All international students who have submitted their enrollment deposit are required to complete the Transitions Pre-Orientation program in August. International students are invited to attend Orientation Part I in June. If students are not able to attend the orientation in June, they will be provided information on how to register for classes online. Airport pickup is provided to those who arrive on the date specified in post-enrollment communication. More information is provided on the enrollment portal which is available to all students who have submitted their enrollment deposit.



What scores should I submit with my application?

SAT and ACT test dates prior to November 15th will release results in time for scores to be considered with early action or early decision applications. Test dates through December 15th will provide results in time for scores to be considered with regular decision applications.

Do you accept self-reported test scores?

Applicants may submit self-reported test scores for use during the admission process. Self-reported scores can come directly from the Common Application or a student can send us a scanned PDF copy of their student score report. We will not accept self-reported scores in an email from the student unless the email includes the students’ score report as indicated above.

Do you require students who enroll to submit test scores?

Yes. Official test scores (if available) will be required for each student upon enrollment. Test scores may be used for academic advisement purposes.



Transfer Admission

How are transfer credits evaluated?

Students must earn a grade of a C or better in each course to receive credit. Credit is awarded for courses relevant to our academic core and the program in which the student is enrolling. Courses will transfer in based on the number of credits received at the previous institution(s). To learn more about the official credit evaluation process, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

How many college courses can students transfer to Saint Anselm College?

Students can transfer up to 64 credits to Saint Anselm College. They must take at least 64 credits and the majority of their major courses at Saint Anselm.

How is class standing determined?

At Saint Anselm College, to be considered a freshman, transfer students will have completed up to 32 acceptable credits. To be considered a sophomore students will have completed more than 32 but no more than 64 acceptable credits. Students who have completed more than 64 acceptable credits may be considered a junior. 

Is housing available for transfer students?

Housing for transfer students is not guaranteed. Priority is given to students who submit their application by the priority transfer deadlines. To learn about specific deadlines, please visit our Dates & Deadlines page.

Are scholarships available for transfer students?

All transfer students are evaluated for merit scholarships. Merit awards range between $20,000 and $28,000. Additional need-based scholarships are available for those who complete the FAFSA.

Is there a transfer orientation?

Yes. Transfer students are given the opportunity to participate in New Student Orientation. Information about orientation will be provided to each enrolled student via email.