Skip to main content
Sociology Major Learning Goals
- The discipline of Sociology and its role in contributing to the understanding of social reality.
- The role of theory in sociology.
- The role of evidence as developed through qualitative and quantitative methods.
- The technical skills in retrieving information and application of data analysis, including technical writing.
- Basic concepts in sociology and their interrelationships.
- How culture and social structure operate.
- The reciprocal relationship between individuals and society.
- The distinction between micro and macro in theory and analytics.
- In depth knowledge of at least two core areas of sociology, such as race, class, gender, etc.
- Critical thinking that allows movement from analysis to application and evaluation.
- Value development to reduce the effects of social inequality and positively impact society.
Social Work Major Core Competencies
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice.
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice.
- Engage in policy practice.
- Engage with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Assess individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- Intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- Evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.