What is a U.S. Student Fulbright Grant?

It allows for individually designed study/research or an English Teaching Assistantship.
You can propose a project and/or study plan that will take place during one academic year in a country outside the U.S.


It provides support for study/research/teaching in a single country.
(Limited opportunities exist for traveling to more than one country.) You can meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences.


It facilitates cultural exchange.
Through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in daily tasks, you can gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think.


It promotes mutual understanding.
Through engagement in the community, you can interact with your hosts on a one-to-one basis in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity, and intellectual freedom.

How do I Apply?

Contact the following faculty members to ask more in-depth questions regarding the Fulbright application process and to brainstorm about your project ideas:

SAC Fulbright Program Advisor
Prof. Kimberly Kersey-Asbury (Fine Arts) Fulbright Recipient to Botswana

SAC Fulbright Campus Committee Members:
Prof. Sara Smits-Keeney (Sociology)
Prof. Bede Bidlack (Theology) Fulbright Recipient to Taiwan
Prof. Jaime Orrego (Modern Languages)
Prof. Loretta Brady (Psychology) Fulbright Recipient to Cypress
Melissa DeLury ’10(Alumni/Guest Member) Fulbright Recipient to India
Prof. Dina Frutos-Bencze (Economics & Business) Fulbright Recipient to the Czech Republic
Prof. Paddy Favazza (Education) Fulbright Recipient to Romania

To be eligible, you must be:

1) A U.S. citizen,

· International students interested in the Fulbright Program must apply through the binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies. Additional information is available at: http://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/.

2) A graduating senior or hold a B.S./B.A. degree, master’s or doctoral degree candidate, or a young professional or artist,

3) Thinking of studying, teaching or conducting research abroad, and

4) In good health. (Health conditions in some locations may be of concern and may require preventive measures to protect grantees and their families. In addition, medical facilities may be inadequate or unavailable for existing medical problems; this is the reason behind the requirement for a medical exam and medical clearance for a specific assignment.)

Complete eligibility details are at http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/eligibility