The Academic Dean's Office supports students' academic progress. It administers standards of academic progress. It also provides advisement in course work and oversees policies on disputed grades, leaves of absence, withdrawal from the College, and the assignment of academic notations (Withdrawal - W, Incomplete - I).


Who is my Academic Dean?

  • Freshmen: Dr. Benjamin Horton
  • Sophomores: Stephanie Fernandez
  • Juniors: Dr. Beth Salerno
  • Seniors: Dr. Mark Cronin

Withdrawal from Classes

After the add-drop period is over, a student may withdraw from a course without grade penalty by completing a withdrawal form with their academic advisor. Withdrawals must be completed by the withdrawal date on the academic calendar for that term.  A "W" will appear on the student’s transcript. Consult the Nursing Department for nursing department regulations.

Course withdrawal dates and forms can be found on the portal under Anselm Community > Academic Dean.

Course Overload

A student may register for no more than eighteen credits in any one semester. Sixteen credits per semester for eight semesters (a total of 128) are required for the baccalaureate degree and constitute the normal student course load. A per credit Overload Fee will be applied to all credits over eighteen credits per semester. Approval is required for students wishing to take more than eighteen credits in a given semester.

The Course Overload Request form can be found on the portal under Anselm Community > Academic Dean.

Leave of Absence

A student may apply to the Academic Dean, the Dean of Students, or to the Registrar for a leave of absence from the College. Students receiving financial assistance must have an exit interview with the director of financial aid before making an application for leave and limit the time of leave to a single semester. A leave of absence for students not receiving financial assistance is granted for a specific period of time, usually not more than two semesters. Applicants for leave must have no outstanding debts at the College. A student on leave may apply for an extension. To ensure the transferability of credits taken at other institutions during a leave of absence, students must obtain prior written approval of the courses from the Academic Dean or the Registrar. Courses undertaken without such approval are not transferable to Saint Anselm College. Provided that notification of the intention to resume studies at Saint Anselm has been received by the Academic Dean at least one month in advance of the semester of return, a student on leave may return to the College at the end of the leave without applying for readmission.

The Leave of Absence form can be found on the portal under Anselm Community > Academic Dean. 

Withdrawal from the College

A student desiring to withdraw from the College should consult with both the assigned academic advisor and the appropriate Dean. Students receiving financial aid must meet with a financial aid administrator to discuss their rights and responsibilities as aid recipients. The form for withdrawal from the College is available in the Office of the Registrar or in the Academic Dean's Office. It must be signed by the student and returned to Dean Fernandez.  Students withdrawing from the college who are enrolled in a 4+1 program also need the form signed by their program director.   Refund of fees or charges will be based on the date that the student last attended a class.

The College Withdrawal forms can be found on the portal under Anselm Community > Academic Dean