Passports are an official identity document issued by your own government. All students must have a passport in order to participate in any study abroad program, and it must be valid for at least six months past the end of your program of study.

How to Get a Passport

APPLY NOW through the U.S. Department of State or through the local post office if this is your first passport. All students traveling outside of North America will need a passport book.

Non-U.S. citizen passport regulations and requirements will be different if you are not a U.S. citizen; contact the nearest embassy or consulate for your country of origin for details.


  • Sign your passport as soon as you get it.
  • Guard your passport. While traveling always keep your passport on your person (ideally, in a hidden pouch under your clothes).
  • Make photocopies. Make copies of the identification pages of your passport and keep them in a safe place, along with two extra passport photos. You may want to store these with a list of credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and telephone numbers for canceling lost or stolen credit cards.
  • Family Help: leave photocopies of the identification pages of your passport with a family member. And make sure that at least one family member has a valid passport in case you become seriously ill and need your family to travel to be with you.

Lost Passports

Loss or theft of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the Passport Services Office at the U.S. Department of State in Washington (202-955-0430) or to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy in your host country, local police authorities, and your on-site coordinator. The U.S. Department of State or local consulate will assist you in replacing your passport. For additional information about lost passports visit the U.S. Department of State website.


  • Are a special approval that some governments require of you as permission to enter and stay in their country
  • Often come as a sticker in your passport by the issuing foreign government sometimes electronic
  • Are not required for every country, please consult your program specific orientation guides for further information