Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Service & Solidarity Missions Program will be altered to offer experiences that stay true to our mission but abide by the current safety guidelines. Stay tuned for more information! Service & Solidarity Missions are student-led service trips overseen by Campus Ministry during winter and spring breaks. In 2020 Service & Solidarity Mission trips celebrated their 30th year with 18 domestic service trips and a trip to Puerto Rico. These mission trips enable students to learn about Catholic social teaching while spending time living and working with those most in need.
The "hands on" nature of this program, focusing on service and community, gives participants the chance to build and renovate homes, tutor children, and serve in soup kitchens, as well as to visit families and individuals in the community and hear people’s stories. Through listening to the journey of refugees, understanding the joys and struggles a person with different abilities has, and learning the personal stories of individuals experiencing homelessness, students recognize the dignity of each person and strive for kinship with one another. It is our hope that students will take the stories, people, and experiences with them and make positive changes in their lives when they return to the hilltop and their home communities.
- Visit our blog and follow our trips during their week away!
In light of current Covid-19 precautions, our 2021 Service & Solidarity Trips have been suspended until further notice.
2020 Service Sites
Winter Break Alternative
- Building affordable housing - Habitat for Humanity, North Carolina
- Community Living - Mobile Loaves & Fishes, Austin, TX
- Hospitality for the homeless - Andre House, Phoenix, AZ
- Inner City Immersion - Catholic Charities, Baltimore, MA
- Cultural Engagement & Sustainability - Community Collaborations International, Puerto Rico
- Refugee resettlement - International Institute, Manchester, NH
- Restoration, resilience, and re-engagement - SBP & New Orleans Missions, New Orleans, LA
- Disaster Relief with Community Collaborations - Panama City, FL
- Simple living and stewardship - Nazareth Farm, Salem, WV
- Social Justice and Sustainability- Bethlehem Farm, WV
- Urban community development- St. Vincent de Paul, Philadelphia, PA
- Urban poverty relief - DOOR, Atlanta, GA
Spring Break Alternative
- Embracing different abilities - Benedictine School, Ridgley, MA
- Homelessness awareness through food delivery - God's Love We Deliver, New York, NY
- Inner-city education - St. Benedict's Prep, Newark, NJ
- Rural renewal - Camp Friendship, Aberdeen , MS
- Working together toward self-sufficiency - H.O.M.E., Orland, ME
Summer Break Alternative
- Cultural immersion and advocacy - Re-member, Pine Ridge, SD
- Dignity of the Homeless - St. Francis Inn, Philadelphia, PA
Urban Immersion service opportunities are also available for those who cannot commit to a week of service!
- For more information please email Riley Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Campus Ministry office.
Kathleen Mulcahy Miskell Memorial Scholarship
Kathleen Mulcahy Miskell, 28, passed away in a tragic accident in 2012. She studied at Saint Anselm College earning a bachelor's degree in Psychology in 2006. While attending Saint Anselm she gave selflessly to the Service & Solidarity Missions program, working with Habitat for Humanity in Jacksonville, FL, and Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos Orphanage (Our little brothers and sisters) in Honduras. In addition to Irish dancing, she had a beautiful singing voice. Kathleen loved to socialize with her many friends, had a heart of gold, and always had a house full of people. Kathleen will be missed dearly and fondly remembered by her loving family and friends. They have chosen to keep her spirit alive through offering a scholarship to support the experiences of future Anselmians seeking the transformative experiences like Kathleen had on Service & Solidarity trips.
Current students participating in Service & Solidarity Missions trips are encouraged to apply through the Kathleen Mulcahy Miskell Memorial Scholarship Application (PDF/294KB).