The minor in Professional and Creative Writing develops students' skills in academic, professional, and creative writing and allows students to pursue their areas of interest in the field of writing through their selection of electives. All students in the minor learn the practices and writers' choices that lead to stronger, clearer expository prose: the writing process; identification and understanding of audience; effective diction and sentences; paragraph, content, and development; organization and argument; researched writing; and the genres, forms, and structures of writing relevant to academic argumentation, business and professional fields, and/or creative writing. The Writing Minor offers students the opportunity to learn skills and strategies for the creation and execution of writing projects, in English, of various forms. Students will have the opportunity to put these skills and strategies into practice through an internship and/or produce a portfolio of creative work.
Students must complete FIVE courses to earn the Minor.
Required Course (ONE):
- EN 207 - Advanced Composition
Elective Courses (at least THREE of the following):
- EN 212 - Creative Writing: Fiction
- EN 213 - Creative Writing: Poetry
- EN 215 - Business and Professional Writing
- CM 216 - Principles and Practices of Journalism
- CM 218 - Media Writing
- EN 307 - Special Topics in Writing
- EN 308 - Special Topics in Writing: Advanced Creative Writing Fiction
- EN 308 - Special Topics in Writing: Creating Poetry from Workshop to Performance
- EN 400 - Independent Study
- One of the elective courses may be filled with EN355 Linguistics or EN356 History of the English Language.
- A student who takes a course focused on skills of academic or professional writing in another department may petition the English department to accept that course as an elective in the minor. This policy will not apply to senior capstone courses.
Creative/Professional Portfolio of Writing OR EN480 Internship in Writing (4 credits)
Contact Information: Meoghan Cronin or Bindu Malieckal.