What to do if you experience Sexual Misconduct

If you experience sexual misconduct, you are likely to have many concerns, including about your physical health and safety, emotional and mental well-being, such medical issues as sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy, the potential impact of your experience on how you relate with friends or family members, and about understanding the College process or legal options available to you for responding to the act.

As you think about how you want to respond, it is most important to do what is right for you. Friends, loved ones and family members may have strong feelings about what you should do. But every person must make the decisions that are best for himself or herself. The information below and elsewhere on this website is meant to provide you resources and information so you can determine what is right for you.

Immediate Actions to Consider

Students who experience an incident of sexual misconduct should consider the following immediate actions:

  • Most importantly, try to get to a safe place, both physically and emotionally.
  • Call 911 if immediate help or medical attention is needed.
  • Please know that Campus Safety & Security and Residential Life & Education are available on campus 24/7, and able to assist you in obtaining medical treatment, counseling support and police services.

             603-641-7000 -  Campus Safety and Security

             603-867-2632  - Residential Life and Education

             603-641-7000 - Counselor On-Call

             603-668-2299 - YWCA NH Crisis Hotline

  • Seek medical attention at the nearest hospital Catholic Medical Center or Elliot Hospital
    • The medical exam has two goals: first, to treat any injury or physical trauma and to consider the possibilities of sexually transmitted disease or pregnancy and, second, to preserve evidence in case you decide to prosecute.
    • IMPORTANT: Do not bathe, douche, brush your teeth, drink or change your clothing, as you may be destroying evidence you will need if you decide to prosecute. Keep clothing in a paper bag.
  • Use the Harbor as a resource. The Harbor is located on the lower level of the Jean Student Center. It is a drop-in center for victims or survivors of violence and offers options, support, and assistance.
                 603-641-7491  -  The Harbor  -  avert@anselm.edu
  • Contact a trained, experienced counselor in Health Services  (8a-6p Mon-Fri 12-4p Sat)
                 603-641-7028 - Health Services
  • Contact parents, relatives or close friends for support.
  • Contact Law Enforcement 
                 603-497-4858  -  Goffstown Police
  • You have the option to report any act of violence to the Dean of Students
                 603-641-7600  -  Dean of Students