Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, Curriculum, Policy, and School Reform, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
Master of Arts in Teaching, Tufts University, Medford, MA
Master of Arts in History, Tufts University, Medford, MA
Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Education Policy
- Teaching for Social Justice
- Assessments "of & for" Teacher Learning
- Political and Historical Education
- Applying Learning Theory to Curriculum Design
- Assistant Professor, Social Science and Education, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH
- High School Social Studies Teacher in US History, Civics and Sociology, Greenwich, CT
Selected Creative and Scholarly Work
- Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., McCurdy, K., Birch, M. L., Schram, T., Tompkins, P., “Forcing me to reflect:” Preservice and novice teachers’ reflective thinking in varied school contexts.” In Many, Joyce E. & Batnager, Ruchi (eds.) (Winter 2018) Implementing and Analyzing Performance Assessments in Teacher Education.
- Mitescu Regan, E., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., Rogers, A. P., Schram, T., Tompkins, P., Ward, C., Birch, M. L., McCurdy, K., (Spring 2019) “Performance Assessment for Teacher Candidate Learning: A Localized Policy Context.” Teacher Education Quarterly.
- Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., & Wasielewski, L. (Fall 2018). “Making Connections: Exploring middle level writing in a school-university partnership.” School-University Partnerships, The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools.
- Barnatt, J., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., Jong, C., D’Souza, L., Gleeson, A., & Mitchell, K. (January 2016) Interpreting Early Career Trajectories. Education Policy.
- Wasielewksi, L., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., (2014). “What’s next? Beyond the partnership” School-University Partnerships, The Journal of the National Association for Professional Development Schools. May 2014 7(2).
- Cochran-Smith, M., McQuillian, P., Mitchell, K., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., et al. (2012), “A Longitudinal Study of Teaching Practice and Early Career Decisions: A Cautionary Tale.” American Educational Research Journal Social and Institutional Analysis Special Issue. 49(5) p 844-880.
- Cochran-Smith, M., McQuillian, P., Mitchell, K., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., et al. (2009), “Good and Just Teaching: The Case for Social Justice in Education.” American Journal of Education 115(3):347-377
- Cochran-Smith, M., Shakman, P., Jong, C., Gahlsdorf Terrell, D., et al. (2009), “Teacher Education for Social Justice: Critiquing the Critiques.” Handbook of Social Justice in Education.
Courses Recently Taught
- ED240: Principles of Teaching and Learning
- ED311: Getting Schooled - The politics and promise of American education (online and on ground)
- ED340: Curriculum and Assessment
- ED432: Supervision of Secondary Student Teaching
- ED490: Capstone (NHTCAP)
- American Educational Research Association, 2004 - Present
- Kappa Delta Phil International Honor Society for Education, 2014 - 2017
- American Association of University Professors, 2014 - 2017
- Phi Delta Kappa
- National Council for the Social Studies, 2002 - 2004, 2007 - 2008, 2017 - 2018
- Research Team Member, Spencer Foundation's "Performance Assessment and Teacher Learning In and Beyond Teacher Preparation"
- Trustee with New Hampshire Institute for Civic Education
- Executive Team Member with New Hampshire Social Studies Curriculum Standards Review
- Research Team Member, Ford Foundation's "Teacher Development and Retention" Study
- Research Team Member, Carnegie Foundation's Teachers for a New Era (TNE) Project