Ph.D., Educational Studies: Mathematics Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
M.S., Mathematics (Elementary), Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, CT
B.A., Psychology and Education, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
- Mathematics Education
- Elementary Preservice Teacher Preparation
- Teacher candidate performance assessment
- Graduate Education Course Instructor, University of Michigan, MI
- Undergraduate Mathematics Course Instructor, Central Connecticut State University, CT
- Third and Fourth Grade Teacher, East Granby Public Schools, CT
Selected Creative and Scholarly Work
Sherman, D., (2019, April). The role of the TCAP (Teacher Candidate Assessment Portfolio) in identifying preservice teachers’ eliciting student thinking practice. Paper presented at New England Educational Research Organization (NEERO), Annual Conference, Portsmouth, NH.
Sherman, D., (2018, May). Knowledge of learners in context: Teacher candidate performance assessment and novice teacher learning. Paper presented at New England Educational Research Organization (NEERO), Annual Conference, Portsmouth, NH.
Reagan, E., McCurdy, K., Birch, M., Rogers, A., & Sherman, D. (2018, April). Knowledge of learners in context, Teacher Candidate Performance Assessment and novice teacher learning. Paper presented at American Education Research Association (AERA), Annual Conference, New York, NY.
Sherman, D. (2017, March). Initiating a PDS focused on elementary mathematics instruction. Paper presented at National Association of Professional Development Schools (NAPDS) Annual Conference, Washington, D.C.
Sherman, D., (2016, January). What are they capable of? Examining preservice teachers’ early practice of eliciting student thinking. Paper presented at Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Annual Conference, Irvine, CA.
Courses Recently Taught
- ED240: Principles of Teaching and Learning
- ED380: Theory and Methods of Teaching Elementary Mathematics
- ED390: Methods of Teaching Elementary Science and Social Studies
- ED430: Fundamentals of Teaching Elementary Reading and Mathematics
- ED490: Clinical Capstone (TCAP)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (2010-present)
- American Educational Research Association (2014-present)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (2010-present)